Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:34 pm

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:49 am 
In any Business, Competitor Analysis would play a major role in improving the Business Returns. Reason, it would allow us to track the competitor marketed areas to generate leads. To generate good amount of Traffic and Leads to your website, we’ve to analyze all our competitor websites to track their Marketing Areas, Active Networks and Traffic Sources.

One way of preparing a competitor analysis is by utilizing Search Engines. Type “link: http://www.competitordomain.com” in your targeted Search Engine to view the back links for your competitor website which would be of help in analyzing the Marketed Areas of your competitor. Like wise, we’ve many techniques to analyze the competitor marketed areas.

Analyzing the Competitor Marketed Areas would not fetch you everything. You’ve to build a good website to market your product or a service. I’ve tried to outline certain parameters need to be considered.

1. Home page. How informative is the home page? Does it set the proper context or visitors? Is it just an annoying splash page with multimedia? How fast does it load?

2. Navigation. Is the global navigation consistent from page to page? Do major sections have local navigation? Is it consistent?

3. Site organization. Is the site organization intuitive and easy to understand?

4. Links and labels. Are labels on section headers and content groupings easy to understand? Are links easy to distinguish from each other? Or are they ambiguous and uninformative ("click here" or "white paper")? Are links spread out in documents, or gathered conveniently in sidebars or other groupings?

5. Search and search results. Is the search engine easy to use? Are there basic and advanced search functions? What about search results? Are they organized and easy to understand? Do they give relevance weightings or provide context? Do the search results remind you what you searched for?

6. Readability. Is the font easy to read? Are line lengths acceptable? Is the site easy to scan, with chunked information, or is it just solid blocks of text?

7. Performance. Overall, do pages load slowly or quickly? Are graphics and applications like search and multimedia presentations optimized for easy Web viewing?

8. Content. Is their sufficient depth and breadth of content offerings? Does the content seem to match the mission of the organization and the needs of the audience? Is the site developing its own content or syndicating other sources? Is there a good mix of in-depth material (detailed case studies, articles, and white papers) versus superficial content (press releases, marketing copy)?

Once we’ve prepared an analysis report of all our competitors for all their competitive targeted keywords, we would know how to beat a competitor and rank top in search engines to generate good amount of Traffic and Leads. Therefore, competitor analysis would help to Improve the Business Returns.

This whole complete competitor analysis is a part of the SEO procedure performed by an expert to optimize a website and generate targeted Traffic and Leads to Improve the Business Returns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:38 pm 

Excellent stuff. I'm making this 'sticky' so visitors won't miss it.

John

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:16 am 

great resource about competitor analysis. thanks for sharing such useful article.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:25 pm 
Competitor analysis has two primary activities, 1) obtaining information about important competitors, and 2) using that information to predict competitor behavior. The goal of competitor analysis is to understand:

* with which competitors to compete,
* competitors' strategies and planned actions,
* how competitors might react to a firm's actions,
* how to influence competitor behavior to the firm's own advantage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:53 pm 
Hello,

Here is a nice post. It's quite informative and good article to understand importance of competitor analysis. To get success in online business writing articles is very important .Write articles related to your site and put your website address in the by-line. If you can write good content, your articles will be published and a lot of readers who like your article will start using your website
A well-written article can:
- help you build your profile as an expert
- draw traffic to your site, and
- help you to build a database of potential clients through associated e-courses or a newsletter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:27 pm 

Hello
Developing a sound SEO strategy and implementing it is no simple task, but you do have a key benchmark to judge your success: traffic and sales. If your strategy worked, more people will be coming to your site and, with that larger audience, your sales should have increased as well. But what about your competitors? It’s simple to track your own stats because you have access to your logs, server info, etc. Keeping track of what the other marketers in your niche are doing isn’t quite so simple, unless, of course, you use the right niche marketing tool. A truly flexible and informative niche marketing tool gives you options on what exact facet of your business you want to analyze. To illustrate, let’s assume that both you and your competitor have sites with different product pages. A excellent tool will allow you to enter a specific URL from your own site and compare it against a specific URL from your competitor’s, as well as the basic homepage comparison. Why is this vital? Because search engines analyze websites page by page. If you can optimize specific pages of your site, as well as the homepage, you have the chance to get a double listing in search engine results. By having two listings in the top ten, you effectively push one of your rivals out of the race, and double your changes of getting traffic. Why wouldn’t you want to do that? One final point: the user interface is crucial. If the information you need is spread out in a labyrinth of numbers and percentages, then it doesn’t do you much excellent. When looking for a niche marketing tool, you not only need one with a wide range of features, but also a program that is able to present the data culled from those features in a worthwhile way. The ability to download a free trail really comes in handy – see if the product delivers on its promises.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:00 am 

Thanks for your post

The idea of competing with others does seem
to be a little based on 'lack-thinking'

'Anyway',

It's alway's interesting to see (and possibly learn from)
what approaches other entrepreneurs have.

Thanks for the info.

All the Best,
To your Happy - Home Business - Inspiration,
HP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:44 pm 
I have been doing competitor's analysis for a while and I must admit that this greatly improve my tactics and my overall view of my business. I found out there's a lot of room for improvements and no money was wasted ever again in my marketing since I know what to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:32 pm 

I think that competitor analysis is something that MUST be done before any other work, but these tips are somewhat one-sided.

They are great from a web-developers point of view, but not from a search engine's. Why? well because the way users see the page and the way that google's bots see it is completely different. Consistency of navigation, readability of font and internal search results have little to do with traffic generation. For example you can have a very attractive page full of readable picture text (You may have noticed it when you try to select words individually, but you get the entire paragraph selected), but google will not recognize it.

Now I would hate to be one of those people that complains, without providing solutions. So let me share what I look for when I decide if I should take on a company for a particular keyword. But before I do, I really do want to emphasize that onlineshine's advice is great, and every web developer should follow it when designing a site, and every business owner needs to have their website follow these principles. All those things are a must for the visitors to return and enjoy (and share) the site. However bots aren't like visitors so when analyzing the site I look more at the backend.

I use the SEOQuake toolbar/plugin (it's free, and hate paying when I can get a great tool for free, so I recommend it)

1. Check out the HTML. Look at the same factors that onlinbeshine talked about, but from the bot's POV. Search engines do not read flash animations, so it's easier to outrank a flash based site, regardless how nice their navigation is.
1a - If you want to outrank for a particular keyword (better rank= more traffic) see if your competitors are using it in their title, meta keywords, meta description.
1b - Go through their page and get a feel for how many times that keyword appears on the page. Especially in heading tags or strong tags.
1c - Check out if it's picture rich. Bots can't read pictures. Is there an alt description?
1d - Get a sense for the internal linking ie. navigation. Is the anchor text promoting a keyword phrase or does it just say "click here".
1e - What is their url structure. Do they have a good mix of keywords in competitor.com/keyword-phrase.html?

2 Then see the bigger picture.
2a - Check out the page rank. IMO it's not that important, because I've outranked PR4s with my PR0, but that was with clever on-site SEO, and for a not too competitive phrase. However it is important if most of your competition has a high PR and the industry is highly competitive. Companies with a high PR also pay less for PPC ads.
2b - Check out how many pages have been indexed by google. The bigger the site, the more weight it has. The harder it is to outrank it. Type in "site:competititor.com" and see what google has indexed.

3 Off-site SEO. See how popular it is? Google looks at websites in much the same way that high school kids evaluate popularity. Who's popular? The kid with the most friends. Every backlink is a vote for the website. The more the competition has, the more popular google thinks they are.
3a - check using Yahoo Site Explorer to see how many sites have a link to competitor.com domain.

4 Where does your competitor apper
4a - Where they rank in organic results
4b - Do they rank in Google's Business Directory? (ranking here requires different strategies than organic)
4c - Do they have PPC ads?

5 Beyond: social media. So far it hasn't been relevant for my research, but maybe it's a good idea to see if they have a following on twitter, fan pages on facebook, company profiles elsewhere.
You can also use free sites like quantcast.com to estimate what the demographic of your competitor's visitors is.

There is a lot of research to be done, so take your time and good luck.

There is also great SEO advice on this forum, so once you see that your competitor is not doing something, then you can have a head start following many of the techniques outlined in the SEO threads.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:13 am 

This is really a micro competitor analysis (focus on the web side of things).

You need to do a higher level one even before you get to this:

Power of buyers, suppliers, substitutes, new entrants, existing competitors, complementors and anyone who can offer your core benefit in a way that you cannot foresee.

See Porter, Moore etc.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:24 am 
The competitive analysis process presents an opportunity to describe your major competitors in terms of the factors that most influence revenues. This may include your competitor’s:

organization size
market share
comparative product quality
growth
available capital and resources
marketing strategy
target markets
and any attributes you consider important.

[Link removed by moderator. Please read the rules.]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:10 am 
yes, competitor analysis shows what your competitor is doing, so that you will become alert. Apart from it, onsite and offsite optimization will help you to be on par with your competitor.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:52 am 

Great Article.

I software I use to see what my competitor are up to and what their rank is in google.
SEO quake

its a tool for firefox and google chrome.
you put your competitor website in the browser, click enter
the SEO quake will analysis the site, what is the PR rank?
google index, yahoo index, bing index
and it goes as far as showing the site's internal and external links.

Its an awesome plug in for browser and its free.
Check it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:21 am 

competitor analysis is a must part of a SEO strategy. One can analyze what competitors are doing and see where their backlinks are coming from. Subsequently, one can increase traffic on website and lead the industry.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:12 am 
I have seen most of the SE experts analyze the back-links of competitors and they try to follow the same method of competitors to get ranked and come above the competitors, by following many competitors the keywords will get ranked soon and faster also it is a easy method for building more back links, this back links also matters a lot for a keyword position