Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:09 pm

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:57 pm 

I haven't been able to find a topic in the archives that lists favourite FREE WordPress plugins, so let's start one right now.

Here are a few that I use on every site I create. I've listed the name of the plugin, what it does and what I like and dislike about it.

All of these plugins are available from http://WordPress.org. They're not listed here in any kind of order (most are listed alphabetically).

Feel free to add your own favourite FREE plugins. But please don't add PAID plugins — I'll create a separate list for those.

multi-plugin-installer
    This is an absolute must-have if you set up WordPress sites regularly. It can save you HOURS of time on every site you create!
    It allows you to do so many things that it's hard to summarize them, but here are the main things I use it for:
  • Upload a standard set of WP plugins (free or paid, it uploads and installs and activates them all automatically)
  • Create a list of plugins that you can download from one site and then upload that list to other sites.
  • Clone lists of plugins.
  • Upload those lists — and install and activate them automatically.
  • Plus more!

bad-behavior
    This really useful plugin helps prevent unauthorized access to your WordPress sites.
    It also automatically checks and reports IPs, etc of attackers to Project Honeypot (anti spam and attacks)

Wordfence
    I find this the easiest WordPress security plugin — you get really solid security straight out of the box!
    Plenty of scope for custom setting, and I can delete several other plugins as a result, including caching plugins, log-in blockers/limiters and site performance accelerators. Especially good for inexperienced people.

google-analytics-for-wordpress
    If you want to track and analyze your visitors, etc, then you need this plugin. You need a Google Webmaster FREE account to use it.

growmap-anti-spambot-plugin
    One of the very best anti-comment-spam scripts. Excellent.

humansnotbots
    Really useful script for protecting email addresses from harvesting by spammers.

quick-pagepost-redirect-plugin
    Super-easy and flexible redirection script. Works like a charm.

censored spam
    Exceptionally useful and flexible, multi-function plugin for social bookmarking and networking.
  • Add animated icons for your favourite social bookmarking sites and social networks.
  • Add related posts and pages to the foot of any post or page (it will promote up to six, automatically).
  • Track and report social analytics.
  • Much more…

spam-free-wordpress
    Another excellent script for preventing comment spam and trackbacks. Very flexible.

subscribe2
    Excellent for managing mailings and notifications of new posts to subscribers in your WP database.
    It allows you to mail either your subscribers or registered members — or both!

tinymce-advanced
    Really useful script for adding and managing functions in your MCE dashboard (the wysiwyg* editor used in WordPress). Excellent.

UpdraftPlus - Backup/Restore
    Backup and restore entire WP sites: take backups locally, or backup to Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, Rackspace, (S)FTP, WebDAV & email, on automatic schedules or manually. Excellent.

wordpress-seo by Yoast
    Helps you to optimize your posts and pages for search engines without running any risks.
    Much safer and far more useful than SEOPressor, BloggerHigh, etc.

wp-show-ids
    Lets you display page/post ID numbers in your admin back-end interfaces. REALLY useful for managing posts and pages.

wp-to-top
    An often-overlooked function, but incredibly helpful for visitors, this script adds an editable "Back to Top of Page" button to the lower left or right hand side of your WordPress site once scrolling begins. It automatically floats in that position. Takes visitors back to the top of the page when clicked.

Okay — that's enough for now from me. Let's know YOUR favourites to add to this list.

Please do NOT repeat plugins that have already been listed! (Your entire post will be deleted if you do.)

(* wysiwyg = What You See Is What You Get)

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:54 pm 

That seems a great list of plug ins most are different than what I use but I have not built in a year or so.
Here is some of what I use

All In One SEO Pack: this takes some setting but it helps a lot.

Font Resizer: If you are going to market to seniors this shows you know what they need besides a washroom.

Slick Contact Forms : Create quick and easy floating or slide out contact forms with animated validation error messages. Some times people want to talk in private to you this helped me many times.

StatPress Reloaded: Improved real time stats for your blog This is to track your visitors it makes it easy to see when your improvements are working or doing nothing.

WP Smush.it Reduce image file sizes and improve performance using the Smush.it API within WordPress.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:38 pm 

A couple more good ones:

Tablepress: exactly what it sounds like, bunch of things you can do with tables
Maxbuttons: build customized buttons
Wordpress Post tabs: build structured tabs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:28 am 

I think Opencart has a wider range of SEO options but again it all comes to how much the user is willing to spend on addons....!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:28 pm 

tazy wrote:
I think Opencart has a wider range of SEO options but again it all comes to how much the user is willing to spend on addons....!!!

Since the topic is about FREE plugins, not paid addons, it's probably irrelevant.

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:16 am 

Thanks for sharing such valuable resource.

All In One SEO Pack is a really helpful plugin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:24 am 

All great plugins, SEO by Yoast is a must have I'd say.

I'd add those to the list:

- The SumoMe plugin by AppSumo
It's free and includes few plugins (pop-up window, sign-up hello bar, social media share buttons (my favorite), heatmap generator...)

- For Mailchimp users: the Mailchimp for WP plugin
It's not the official branded plugin but it's way better in my opinion. It lets you create forms to let users sign up for your Mailchimp newsletter. You can also add a check box to your comment form which can be useful.

- Starbox
If you have a blog and want to add an author box at the bottom of your posts, this plugin is pretty easy to use

- Disqus
Cool commenting system (for blogs again). For those who want something else than the basic wordpress one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:28 am 

Here are the free plugins I use for every site built on WordPress:

1. Yoast SEO - An excellent plugin to improve the SEO of your WordPress site
2. W3 Total Cache - A slow site will hurt your conversions and SEO, increase your bounce rate, and user abandonment rate. This plugin always helps me to make my sites super fast.
3. Akismet Anti-Spam - I always allow people to comment on my blog posts, but the WordPress comment spam can be a real pain. Fortunately, Akismet filters most of the spam comments and protects my blog from spambots.
4. Jetpack - Even though I don't use all the features packed with this plugin, I think Jetpack has some really useful features. What I usually use are the site stats, post sharing buttons, Publicize (the feature for automatically sharing the published posts to the social networks), the post and comments subscriptions module, and the login brute protection.
5. Optimus - Optimus is a plugin developed by a well-known CDN service. This plugin helps me to compress the images uploaded via the WordPress media manager and can reduce the image size by up to 70%.
6. Reduce Bounce Rate - This plugin displays the real user bounce rate in my Google Analytics account. It works by sending signals to Google Analytics to notify that a visitor is still on my site for the whole session.
7. Simple URLs - This simple plugin allows me to easily manage and make my affiliate links shorter and cleaner.
8. Clean and Simple Contact Form - U need a contact form for all my sites. This simple plugin does exactly what its name suggests, adds a contact form to my site.
9. iThemes Security - This plugin makes my WordPress site harder to hack and adds various security improvements to my site.

Sometimes, I use additional free or paid WordPress plugins based on my needs.