Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:53 am

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:33 pm 

We recently completed the design and have launched a new website. This one is a Directory. We have never built a directory website before but follwed the guide, http://www.search-marketing.info/newsle ... ectory.htm
With the growing importance of directory links and link popularity we wanted to contribute to the marketing efforts of Home Based Businesses.
Please take a look and give us some feedback and of course your support by listing your business is always appreciated.

We also used the phpsql directory model. It allows the bots to index every category as it would an html page. Bots hate perl/cgi script but php adds much of the same power but keeps it all looking like html in the browser. Like this forum, many of the threads here get picked up by the search engine bots because Heidi used the PHP design. Many of the posts here that have a URL in them count as inbound links to that URL. That's a pretty great website!

Well, I ramble -- I know -- please give us some feedback on the site. Is it near pretty great or does it need -- what?

http://www.shophomebased.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 1:31 pm 

It's always weird replying to one's own post, but, *shrugs*

So the directory has entered week three and we are getting close to 25 site submissions a day. Once we get past the next Google dance we will add a paid submission and advertising.

In the short time we have managed to pick up 107 inbound links. WOW if we can maintain this pace we should get PR 7 in four months. Then we can go to premium submission rates.

The front end is scheduled for a complete new look and should be done by the end of July.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:05 pm 

Well, first impression...very clean site! I like it a lot. The only little thing that bugged me is the "Shop Home Based" graphic on the top right when you choose your category, I can see that its the same one as on the main page but has been shrunk(not very well), looks a little distorted. But nothing a little photoshop couldn't fix. Other then that, it's awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 3:28 pm 

Here is what I'm talking about, its slightly bit cleaner lines. You can use this if you wish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:06 pm 

Nice-looking directory, Laura. Fun graphics and colors.

One word of advice from someone who's been there. When building a directory at the beginning, one tends to let an awful lot of junk come in. The end result is that it clutters the directory and renders it useless. We have had over 10,000 links in our directory, a good many of them junk. I now have the ominous task of getting rid of the crap. Wish I had not been so anxious to get links when we started the directory. Rather, I wish I had concentrated on a more quality directory.

It's getting there, but this is a long, hard way to do it.

Heidi
HomeBusinessOnline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:44 pm 

Great advice Heidi. I see what you mean too. A lot of the submissions aren't written very well and are either too much like an advertisement or not descriptive at all. It's a real blessing when I find a well written description and title. Building the directory base is anxious work, but you're right, making sure it is correct from the start is good advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:14 am 

Laura
It looks good. I will be adding a few of my sites later on this week.

I think as long as you keep things organized from the beginning it will be fine. Things that bug me is seeing mortgage companies under enteraintment. :evil:

Good luck!

Need a new cell phone Good or Bad credit The best cell phone deals are found online
Toll-free Service at a bargain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:14 pm 

By the way, Laura, are you using a tool (like Zeus) for your inbound links? Or, are you doing it all manually? Please do share the process.

Heidi
HomeBusinessOnline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:37 pm 

Thanks Tree, the more the better! :D

For keeping up on what website is a live and which has died, http://www.review-script.com/deadlinks.php It was easy to install and mysql makes it automatic with a once a day e-mail to me. Now if I can just find the script to auto erase after three consecutive days of no DNS...

Another good one for link partners is http://www.softbizscripts.com/automatic ... atures.php

We're still getting between 20 and 30 sites submitted a day. Good greif...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:06 pm 

Great! And what are you doing to get people to come and submit their links in the first place so that you can use the above to check on them?

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:45 am 

After looking at server logs the stats would indicate 77% of the traffic is coming from any one of the 80 websites where we have posted the link to the directory. The rest of the traffic is varied between forums like yours to other directories and other sites that have added the link.

Since Google and many of the SE's have delayed the monthly 'dance' we still aren't picking up any thing besides spider traffic from them. We haven't added any paid ads with Overture or in Google-Adwords yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 8:21 am 

Laura,

Your site looks very clean and functions well. Directory programs are hot now in the search engines and arrive on the top of most searches. I wonder when the rules will change and directories will be pulled back. I remember when the hot trend was doorway pages. The engines were so clogged with bad information and drastic changes were needed....and the rules changed.

Thanks for posting the dead link checker for PHP. I was just searching for a program using this process.

Sounds like are having great success building a following with 25 submissions a day. How are you getting a business to your site so they can post the name?

Visit VisionOfSuccess!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 3:56 pm 

Thanks VOS,

Yes the Google search engine is an ever changing mess to put it as politely as I can. There was a time when nothing but banner exchanges were in the top placements for SERPs. The Internet is the place of hackers and crakers and I suppose at a lessor level an SEO consultant is the same. Manipulating websites to cause the results of a Search Engine algorithm to favor one website over another is a form of cracking. Eventually all of those Ph D's at Google will figure a way to display real--relevant--reliable--valuable websites for any and all searches. Until then, all we can do is try to stay ahead of the code creating and hacking. :lol: For now the Google algorithm favors Directories because the brains at G o o g l e (G) think links mean something. Personally I hope people will grow discusted with the G model and favor real content like Yahoo! and Altavista provide.

As far as how we are getting 20 to 25 websites a day to register all I can tell you without too much boring details is that Mark has been around Internet business and marketing since the days when all the Internet was-- were colleges and a .txt (equivalent) list of contacts. Over the 20 years or so, he has developed many contacts of a large number of people who have learned to trust their business marketing and advertising to his efforts and advice.

Actual numbers as of today: site launched 24 days ago. Submissions 481, accepted 378. Averages 20 submissions and 16 accepted websites per day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:57 pm 

I must be the only person with a cushy enough business to have time to share thoughts and ideas here. If I was shy or even a little bashful I'd be inclined to believe that nobody had any interest in what I share or ask or say... Except Heidi :)

Well the work that Mark did on the Digital Photography site has brought me a lot more business and phone call inquiries. I do have 5 full time employees though and that obviously helps me out. The last few days has provided a big drop off in submissions to the directory too. Today there were only 14. It is a little easier to handle 14 and I would prefer 8 to 10 tops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:50 am 

Thanks for the info about your site. Balancing research, actual job, summer activities, vacations and entertainment and finding time to keep up with boards that I post on, is a challenge. Time is such a valuable commodity! Posting on board is a great way to talk with like-minded or idea driven people about common solutions to issues that effect us. Visiting many boards I find a variety of users. Some seem to spend every waking hour on the site and others just post once every few months. Personally, I like to post a few comments to spark ideas or get answers to a question. Hard to keep up but we shall move forward.

Visit VisionOfSuccess!