Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:41 am

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:13 pm 

Spending a lot of time on the internet, you sort of get spoiled in how easy it is to start a marketing campaign on the cheap, and then scale it up big as you achieve results and can afford to expand your marketing.

I was continually thinking about the most efficient way to start an offline campaign. There's lots of ways you can start with little investment, but all the methods that I would think of seemed very inefficient. They required a lot of work for each new customer acquisition, unless you were willing to spend big on advertising.

Then I though, why not find one person that I can not only turn into a customer, but who will give me lots of referrals. Instead of spending so much of my time trying to market to a wide group of people, I'll focus my efforts on one person that has plenty of influence over others. A person who's opinion matters to my target market.

So let's say I sell specialized software that's used exclusively by independent funeral homes. Rather than try and sell directly to each funeral home, I'll first get to know the president of the Independent Funeral Home Association who is a funeral home owner himself. I'll convince him of how great my product is, and maybe supply it to him at little or no cost. I'll give him such great service that he's sure to mention to other owners about how they should really try my product. Now, some of these owners will start contacting me. Easier sales and more effective marketing by leveraging the referrals of an influential person.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:21 am 

This is sound advice. Leveraging your opportunities to sell a product or service through "centres of influence" can reap excellent results if planned carefully and executed intelligently.

UPDATE: 23 January 2016

I just re-read this topic and realised that I left out an important piece of advice:

When attempting to work with leaders of professional, business or industry groups in local areas, bear in mind that there is likely to be fierce competition — and offering a special deal to the leader of the group may not get you very far if they want to keep the marketing advantages for themselves.

I once had this happen in a city where I was promoting marketing workshops for kitchen designers. The president of the local chapter of the Kitchen Design Institute seemed very enthusiastic, gathered all the information I could give him, made endless promises about presenting the info to the group, then did nothing. I discovered that he already had a workshop he was attending presented by one of my competitors, realised that mine was far superior, and that his investment would be at risk if his chapter members (competitors!) knew what I was offering!

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:28 pm 

Thank you for great ideas. I think that people go online more and more today, but we cannot ignore the power of offline marketing. There will be more trust if customers can see, feel directly products that they want to buy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:13 pm 

technodesign wrote:
I to have an off-line ad system going on for my program. I am currently in my regional cent paper; but a inadequate reaction to my ad. Then I do a postcard emailing, but have not had a very excellent response from the record I use. I have gone to using brochures as well, and have a 100 % free web page for my program.

It can be difficult asking for advice on offline advertising in an international forum like this.

For a start, offline advertising media and audiences can be very dependent on local media and local social, cultural, religious and other influences, as well as reach and impact.

What may be affordable in one country may be prohibitively expensive in another.

Then there are other factors like the Four Performance Factors that determine the success or failure of your offline advertising — learn more from this article (and watch the video — full of useful information):
http://profitclinic.com.au/advertising/four-performance-factors/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:57 am 

The best offline marketing method that I felt the best is the guerrilla marketing campaign. I too have searched a lot in net to get the best idea to run a campaign and one of my friend suggested me this and researched about it.

Most of the people I asked were positive about the campaign and they also advised me to get the support of a campaign holder who can run it effectively and I contacted a guerrilla marketing services company in Seattle and they hold the campaign in an effective manner and it was a successful one.

Moderator comment:
Promotional links and content removed — please read the forum rules.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:52 pm 

The company and type of campaign mentioned in your post is unlikely to be practical or affordable for the majority of home business owners.

Most of the testimonials on their site are from people who work for large advertising or media placement companies, not home-based business owners.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:05 am 

Reliability is definately the key with promotion. Also, amazing achievements can be had by promotion yourself. Think of it like a representative. How many of them deliver mailers with their image on it. They are trying to build a feeling of believe in while promotion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:21 pm 

Running classified ads in Pennysaver/Thrifty Nickle type of papers may be a good idea. Many companies advertise their websites in the classified sections of magazines. If you can track it, this could work. Why wait for someone to find you on the internet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:42 am 

HomeBusinessMan wrote:
Running classified ads in Pennysaver/Thrifty Nickle type of papers may be a good idea. Many companies advertise their websites in the classified sections of magazines. If you can track it, this could work. Why wait for someone to find you on the internet?

Moderator comment:
This is good advice, but meaningless outside the USA.
Can you please be more descriptive of the type of publication you recommend so that our global members can benefit, too?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:18 pm 

Good ideas. I hope these offline ideas will help us when our customized cake business starts running. Any words of advice about direct mail marketing as an offline tactic? Heard it's pretty effective.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:06 pm 

stevph001 wrote:
Good ideas. I hope these offline ideas will help us when our customized cake business starts running. Any words of advice about direct mail marketing as an offline tactic? Heard it's pretty effective.

My experience — from raising 5 adult children and now 12 grandchildren (from 25 yo to 20 mo) — is that custom cakes are linked to events.

Birthdays, anniversaries, celebrations of all kinds, retirements, engagements, weddings, births, new jobs (or leaving existing jobs), relocation, etc etc etc — these are all EVENTS. So make sure that EVERY event you create a cake for is a referral point.

• Make sure you have either business cards, flyers or coupon sheets available, with your contact details, website, phone, email, Facebook Page, etc printed on them so that parents can take them home for future reference. Ideally, print a QR Code on them for fast mobile access. (Include a link to a free QR scanner app, like scan.me, to make them easier to use.)

Here's an example…

Just a suggestion that builds on the excitement and personal experience of prospective customers. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:24 am 

work2bfree wrote:
Below are some suggested offline advertising methods that I have used over the years that do work.

1. Newspaper ads - try the weekly newspapers. Most times, they are cheaper and people tend to keep them longer. Advertise in one paper for about 30 days, then make your assessment. If you are getting results, keep the paper. If getting little to no results, find another paper.

2. Business Card Flyers - these are business cards size flyers. You place them on the drivers side window. Have the printing facing towards the inside of the car. This way, when the driver returns and sees the card, he or she will have to pick the card up and turn it around to read. The card should slide between the black moulding of the car and the window.

3. Magnetic car signs- you can get these from a business store, like office depot, or from the sign store. You place them on each side of your car, and/or on the back of your car. I have had many hits off of my car sign.

4. Also, place your ads in work for home, or business opportunity magazines. You can offset the cost by getting other people in your group or company to pool together and then split the leads. This is a good way to reach a specific targeted market; ones interested in working from home.

You should select at least 3 methods of advertising your business. This way, if one method is not working, at least one or two others are. Also, you should be consistent in your advertising efforts. Having a business means you must treat your business as a business, not as a hobby that you do off and on.

Moderator comment:
Having several advertising media is a good idea — but if you don't have ways to MEASURE and MONITOR your advertising, how do you know if any of those media are working or not? You MUST be able to measure, monitor and evaluate what's working — or not — and modify your choices accordingly.
You can learn more about making your advertising and other market communications more effective here:
http://profitclinic.com.au/7-magic-ms-market-communication/ « Right-click on the link to open in a new window.

Great tips and suggestion on offline advertising. Offline and online both advertising methods are important to grow business.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:29 am 

I think it's more about having a good mix between the two (offline and online), as I think there are benefits for both. That article I linked has a good comparison:

Traditional marketing has:

Wide reach and stronger branding effect since target groups don’t need an internet connection

High scattering loss depending on medium used

Ad placement is static and unchangeable

High investment

Accurate measurement of success is difficult

Limited personalization options

Limited/no direct communication with customer

and online marketing has:

Only internet users can be reached

Low scattering loss due to ability to personalizing ads

Flexible areas of application

Budget-friendly

Exact tracking of all activities possible