Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:19 am

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 am 

Ebay is the most popular public auction site. This is where people gather to find anything from dishes to jewelry to houses and just about everything in between.

You can purchase amazing original artwork from China, have it signed by the artist, and shipped directly to your home. Perhaps you are trying to find 12 yards of Toile to reupholster your couch. You might even be looking for a new lawnmower or different power tools. The great news is that eBay has it all!

Are you ready to learn how to be an eBay seller? You will find it to be easy, fun, and exciting.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:26 pm 

I have been selling on eBay for about ten years. It used to be a lot easier, when I first started selling. Practically anything would sell. You could get more money for items because the competition was not as stiff and buyers were I think kind of thrilled about buying stuff on eBay. Things have changed quite a bit. In my opinion, the best way to start is to find stuff that you have that will sell for at least $10. Take it from me, don't bother with dollar items. It is time consuming and you don't make much money. Read and research. Find out what sells and what you would enjoy selling. Don't just list anything. You can look at garage sales, flea markets and thrift stores. Ask your neighbors if you could sell stuff for them. Try to find a niche that you think would do well. Seek out wholesalers, especially those listed in your phone book. Buy low and sell high. This is the most time consuming part because it is difficult to find a wholesaler to buy from where the prices are low enough. Remember that much of the time eBay buyers are looking for bargains.

You may come to a point where you might think to yourself to try other ways to make money as an entrepreneur [link removed by moderator: read the rules, please]. If you find something that everyone else is not doing, you might find some luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:34 am 

I work at a self storage company and often when we had customers who disappeared and were never heard from again, and we were left in the position of having to sell off their unwanted items to recoup some of the debt owed.

We would often use ebay to do this, however, like a previous poster I found it was just not worthwhile with the dollar/pound items, when you add in the time taken to take pictures, list the item, post them out etc (although if you're selling in bulk and have the patience and manpower perhaps the returns would be better)

I must say however that for larger items/more expensive items it can work very well...

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:56 am 
If you are a complete beginner to EBay, before you start selling things you probably want to buy a couple of items first so you can get an understanding of how everything works. Just sign into your EBay account and click on the "Buy" link to get started. Once you are familiar you can get started by selling a few unwanted items from your home. To take it to the next level and turn it into a business you may want to try Drop Shipping. A Drop shipping company can take care of providing products and shipping them for you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:21 pm 
zmonique2007 wrote:
Ebay is the most popular public auction site. This is where people gather to find anything from dishes to jewelry to houses and just about everything in between.

You can purchase amazing original artwork from China, have it signed by the artist, and shipped directly to your home. Perhaps you are trying to find 12 yards of Toile to reupholster your couch. You might even be looking for a new lawnmower or different power tools. The great news is that eBay has it all!

Are you ready to learn how to be an eBay seller? You will find it to be easy, fun, and exciting.

eBay is one big waste of time!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:29 pm 

Hello Friends.........

To start a business using ebay you need to

1. Research Ebay for products that are selling well. Doing this research upfront will provide you with the essential knowledge of how start a Ebay business.

2.Scour your belongings for things that you don't need or use. Everything is a potential product that you could be selling to make money from Ebay. Although you may want to ultimately sell your own products, selling some of your belongings that you no longer want is a good way to get started on Ebay. It will give you the experience to allow you to move on to bigger and better things.

3. See how much every item you decide on selling is listed for. This will give you an idea of how much you should sell your item for. Decide on the lowest price you will allow for your item. Even if other people are paying a certain amount for others similar items, don't list your item for the same price. Some people may be willing to pay this much, but they don't necessarily want to start bidding at that price.

Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:07 am 
veenafurtado wrote:
eBay is one big waste of time!

Why Veena, You had any bitter experience?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:27 am 

I've never sold anything on eBay, but I've used it for buying and found it excellent.

My youngest daughter uses it to sell second-hand fashion clothing that she buys in opp shops (she has a very smart system she uses to find them).

Once a week she takes photos on a digital camera (bought on eBay) using a couple of store manequins she bought second-hand (on eBay).

She does very nicely.

John

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:06 am 
profitclinic wrote:
I've never sold anything on eBay, but I've used it for buying and found it excellent.

My youngest daughter uses it to sell second-hand fashion clothing that she buys in opp shops (she has a very smart system she uses to find them).

Once a week she takes photos on a digital camera (bought on eBay) using a couple of store manequins she bought second-hand (on eBay).

She does very nicely.

John

John, you are right. I know a lady who makes good money from Ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:04 pm 
Ebay is interesting and a thriller honestly i enjoy my time on Ebay and i usually find great things if your a beginner as a seller you have to make an account and choose the time your planning to sell and choose the lowest price you could put for it because by the end of the selling period it will go up to the price you want if not more . If as a buyer then just choose a certain billing and shipping address try not to change them around to much it causes some problems and make sure that the person you buy from has good reviews.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:29 am 

Peytonn wrote:
I am thinking to starting buying selling at ebay. But I have no prior experience.
I have heard that you can get deceived on ebay transactions as some times you
will not get delivery or some time your money can't transfer to the seller's account.

Peytonn, if you use either PayPal or Paymate for payments you are usually protected against fraud.

NEVER, EVER pay by direct funds transfer to the seller's bank account or by Western Union or other direct funds transfer. That's usually a pretty reliable indicator of risk, and you have NO protection.

Other fraudulent behaviour includes scam emails claiming that you haven't shipped a product you didn't sell, or haven't made a payment for a product you haven't bought.

Use common sense and don't take ANY action except to report such scammers to eBay, immediately.

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:29 am 
If you use one of those no cost e-mail choices (hotmail, yahoo) as your e-mail, eBay will ask for a credit cards to establish your identity. This is eBay's way to make sure that you are not a fraudster trying to start several eBay account since there is limit to sell products on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:58 am 
I used Ebay for selling my Mens BLAZER and found it awesome, but one thing that I don't like is Ebay remove listings which they think are fake goods (even if they are genuine).

[Link removed. Please read Linking Guidelines.]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 4:44 pm 
We would often use ebay to do this, however, like a previous poster I found it was just not worthwhile with the dollar/pound items, when you add in the time taken to take pictures, list the item, post them out etc (although if you're selling in bulk and have the patience and manpower perhaps the returns would be better)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 pm 

I bought an ebook called "The Silent Sales Machine Hiding on Ebay".

The guy said in the book that there is an "About Me" page. (I believe, it's been years ago)

He goes on to say that you can link to your website on that page and that he was making a killing by losing money on the auctions and gaining exposure from their huge amount of traffic.

He listed a bunch of stuff for a penny that he'd buy at yard sales or wherever and thousands of people would visit his about me page to see what else he had to offer. He just linked them to a website and got them to join an autoresponder.

Just an idea.... :wink:

It was a $100 book when I bought it, but I never tried it. There were tons of good testimonials about it in a lot of different forums at the time. You might still be able to find something about on Google? I recall that what the guy was saying made a lot of sense when I read through it, but my computer died and I lost all of the files...