Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:34 pm

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:37 pm 

We've been watching a growing SEO spamming trend since about 2010 that quickly reached reached the stage where it needed moderator action. (At the time, more than 80% of all new registrations fell into this category.)

The Trend?

It's mostly limited to SEO spammers from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philippines, China, Hong Kong, Russia and other Eastern European countries. The typical pattern includes two or more of the following:

1. Choose a forum username that sounds American or English.
  2. Claim to be from a location in the USA, Canada, UK or Australia.
  3. Claim a web site with a US, Canadian, Australian or UK domain name.
  4. Post scraped, swiped or otherwise stolen content — or lame, meaningless content — and post your SEO-spam back-links in your signature file.
  5. Post almost exclusively in the SEO and/or Getting Traffic boards of these forums.
  6. Repeat this process for several user accounts in these forums.

Spammers of any kind are usually cunning and sly, but cunning and sly do NOT equal intelligent or clever.

Identifying these forum abusers and parasites is usually a pretty simple task. Here are some typically-dumb mistakes made by these mindless drones (from any nationality):

• The anglicized username is very often misspelled because they're unfamiliar with the cultures.
  • Their multiple usernames follow the same pattern: firstnamelastname (but often misspelled through ignorance).
  • The location they choose is unrelated to their IP address, which is easily traced and is usually in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria or other Eastern European countries.
  • Their web site URL is often in a different country from their claimed location.
  • Their posts range from perfect English to unintelligible gibberish (because of content scraping and/or spinning) — all claiming to be written by the same author.
  • Some of their posts are spun so badly that they're nonsensical.

From now on, anyone, from any country or culture, who tries to abuse these forums in this way will be booted and banned on sight, without warning, using our one-click banning system. This will…

• ban this user’s username
  • ban the user's IP address
  • move the user to group N/A
  • delete the user’s posts
  • delete the user’s signature
  • delete the user’s profile fields
  • report the user to StopForumSpam.com — a real-time block list used by thousands of forums

I've removed most of these abusers over the past few years and a number of more recent arrivals are currently under review on the Moderator Watch List.

Please don't complain that you haven't been warned if you find yourself banned from these boards. Especially if you post here using automation scripts.

Global Moderator wrote:
If you've been sent here by a moderator for not complying with forum Terms of Service, here's how to comply:

1. ONE username only. (Multiple user names will result in ALL of those usernames being banned.)
2. NO false anglicised names. (These forums are open to everyone, from everywhere. We don't discriminate. Be honest.)
3. NO false location claims. (Residents of the USA, UK or Australia do NOT have ISPs located in other countries.)
4. NO false gender claims. (Many male spammers adopt female usernames because they think it will give them an advantage. It won't.)

You have been added to the Moderators' Watch List. Non-compliance with forum rules and moderator instructions may result in immediate banning and deletion of all posts (see above).

Thank you for complying,

John Counsel
Global Moderator

UPDATE 2014
We're noticing a gradual increase in new members who appear to comply with all the forum rules, but who are clearly SEO spamming by the nature of their bland, meaningless posts, which contribute nothing to the discussions. They're posted purely for the sake of displaying one or more links in their signature files, which are unrelated to them — not their businesses, but businesses they're promoting.

Be warned, if this is you: you WILL be banned and all posts deleted on sight. No warnings will be issued other than this one.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm 

i think you have all right is a good idea to write this post i don't understand were is the problem ???

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:23 am 

The problem is SEO spamming by imposters trying to avoid suspicion.

This post gives them fair warning... if they insist on trying it on these forums, they can expect a fast eviction.

If you can't see the problem, then you could be at risk of making a similar mistake, especially since you happen to be from one of the problem regions.

If you mean that you literally can't see the problem on the forum boards, that's because we enforce this policy relentlessly, often with pre-emptive strikes BEFORE these spammers get a chance to post.

Update 23 May 2012:
Since this person has made no more posts on these forums, it's probable that he got the message and decided to go elsewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:45 am 

" SEO spammers from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Philippines, China, Russia and other Eastern European countries "

Very true.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:11 pm 

How do we know when someone is an SEO spammer trying to hide their identity?

It's not hard. There are ALL kinds of tell-tale signs, which I'm not about to reveal here. But here's a snippet that's particularly easy to spot:

The phrase "according to me" is in common use amongst posters from India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangla Desh.

It's almost always used by people from these former British colonies instead of the more accurate expression "in my opinion".

The phrase "according to me", used in these contexts, is clumsy, awkward, and has a strong connotation of exaggerated self-importance (boasting).

Native English speakers NEVER use the expression in place of "in my opinion".

There's a clue here if you're smart enough to recognise it.

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:53 pm 

Hi John - I like this move. Spammers add no value to the real users of this forum that actually want to share ideas and network with other *real* people. I can see how these types of on-going low value posts would also be extremely annoying from a moderator perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 pm 

Brett,

It's been interesting to watch the changes since this policy was implemented.

I've watched the volume of SEO and other spam dwindle from literally HUNDREDS every day to fewer than a dozen a week.

My workload as a moderator has dropped from 2-3 hours every day to 2-3 hours a week.

Naturally, the number of posts has been reduced drastically — but the value and usefulness of posts has generally increased.

It will take a while for genuine, worthwhile posters to gravitate to these MUCH safer, more productive forums in greater numbers, but it's already begun.

Yes, that will attract the predators and parasites — they're opportunists, after all — but even the most persistent spammers appear to have finally understood the message: that the HomeBusinessOnline forums are NOT worth the effort, even using Xrumer and other automated spamming scripts.

By comparison, most of the other small and home-based business forums I used to visit regularly, which aren't tightly moderated, have either been abandoned altogether or have become digital wastelands of endless spam.

The emergency surgery needed here at HomeBusinessOnline was radical, and we had NO new member registrations for months on end. But people are gradually being attracted once more. Quality content always attracts a quality audience… eventually! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:58 pm 

John is right. As owner of HomeBusinessOnline.com and having fought massive spam for more than 10 years, I have been compelled to take a NO-SPAM-TOLERANCE stand in order to save these forums and to maintain a save place for people to come and get answers as well as to legitimately network. Thus, I check each and every new member sign-up, even if they haven't posted. If their sign-up looks and smells like someone they do not claim to be, I simply delete them... No questions asked.

I apologize in advance for mistakes I might make. No foul intended. Just trying to avoid many, MANY unnecessary hours of dealing with spam. And believe me, it truly does suck the hours out of your daily productive life. You may always use our contact form ( http://www.homebusinessonline.com/contact.php ) if you feel an error has been made. We will absolutely look into it; and, if we feel there has been a mistake, we will surely make it right.

HomeBusinessOnline.com exists solely as a service to anyone - regardless of race, creed, color, or religion - with a legitimate interest in doing business in the comforts of their home.

Please invite your friends, family and associates interested in small business to join us on the forums. The more truly passionate people we have participating here, the more exceptional information we will be able to disseminate to the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:04 pm 

Yep... nothing like pre-emptive strikes against spammers. It's common practice for spammers to pre-register names using Xrumer and similar scripts several days or even weeks prior to posting. For the past year or so I developed the habit of checking each new registration and gazzumping any that didn't look, sound or smell legit.

Fortunately, they tend to be lazy and stupid, so it's not particularly hard to do, but it's refreshing to not have to do it so often or to so many. :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:40 pm 

Actually, I know most of spammers just try to spam their links in crap comment. But some also try to add their link but in a valuable comment, their purpose may not be good but their comments are still considered as contribution. So what should we do with these types of comments?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:54 pm 

brucekenway wrote:
Actually, I know most of spammers just try to spam their links in crap comment. But some also try to add their link but in a valuable comment, their purpose may not be good but their comments are still considered as contribution. So what should we do with these types of comments?

We remove inappropriate links as soon as we see them. If the content of the post is good — and it's original, not stolen — we usually allow it to remain minus the offending links.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:29 pm 

Michh07 wrote:
Hi,

Yes I agree these are the information are Good. Spammers Come from these Country..

Glad you agree. Especially when you come onto these forums using a fake name, fake location and all the other hallmarks of a forum spammer from Chennai, India (including your IP address).

Can you say d-u-m-b? How about d-u-m-b-er?

Bye bye.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:04 pm 

Oh, there are so many spammers...it isn't a normal work!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:15 pm 

Ryan88 wrote:
Oh, there are so many spammers...it isn't a normal work!

One-click Boot and Ban gets rid of them fast. (I've been away for a couple of days.)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:52 am 

Really very informative, helping me at some points.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next