Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:16 pm

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:59 pm 

It was 6pm. I was just sitting down to a delicious steak dinner. It was huge mound of food; I skipped lunch on purpose just so I would be hungrier for it.

The phone rang. I picked it up and from Caller ID, I thought I recognized the number -- a client who seldom keeps me on the phone very long.

I was wrong -- it was a potential new client who was wanting to go on and on about his new site. Typically this doesn't bother me at all, but the steak was calling to me.

I asked him to sum it all up and put it in an email to me and I would have a look at it. But he talked....

I asked him to sum it all up and put it in an email to me and I would have a look at it. But he talked....

I said "I have to take another call... can you sum it all up and put it in an email to me?"

He said "...an email; all-right then. An email!"

Never heard from him again.

Lesson learned: let the answering machine take calls at meal times.

Regards,
Steve MacLellan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:05 pm 

Don't know how I missed this post. Oh, man, can I relate with this one, Steve. And, actually, I think the moral of the story is to "steak" your claim... Or... Make a system and "steak" to it.

Okay, I'll take my public flogging now.

Heidi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:36 pm 

You're really steaking it to me! :D

Best Regards,
Steve MacLellan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 am 

Oh yes that has happened to me too.

Although you did the right thing by asking him to email you the details. The fact that he didn't email back means he wasn't a genuine customer, why would you want to deal with a customer that didn't take the time to jot down a few words on email. That customer would've been high maintenance I reckon.

Anyway I hope the steak was still to your liking :D

Jenny
http://www.cardsmadeeasy.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:48 pm 

There's an alternative approach that I'd have taken...

His number is recorded in your phone. I'd have explained that I couldn't talk because I was otherwise engaged, and asked for a time to call him back.

The bottom line: Never, EVER leave it to a potential or actual client to get back to you. It says, plainly and simply, that you're not willing to take responsibility for continuing the discussion. You're really not interested in gaining or keeping their business.

By taking responsibility for returning the call, you can do it at a time convenient to BOTH of you.

Never relinquish control -- unless, of course, you're really not interested in that person's business.

John

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:53 am 

Well that is necessary also because we can not skip or avoid our clients. We are based on clients so some time we have bear for them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 pm 

Since I work from home, and only have a cell phone, it's rare that I ever give out my number. To promoters, to event planners, to associates, sure. But I'm an author and presenter that focuses on work at home jobs and scams, and many attendees want to be able to reach me to ask questions. I gently guide them to my facebook, twitter, and email for follow-up.

I have had some people mumble and grumble that they can't reach me by phone, but it's the best way for me to run my business. It's just me, after all...I don't have an army of people at the ready to answer questions.

Not that you should ever turn away paying customers, but if this person prefers to contact you in a way that doesn't suit your business, or takes up too much of your time, have you really missed out?

Remember 80/20...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:19 am 

Sometimes people doing mistakes in very simple business life's situation.
The situation was simple: you needed to listen him or ask best time to call him back.

You needed to make sense for the client that you are interesting in him site and than
at the end of the call may ask him send all info via email. Now you tried to finish the
call immediately, what the client did not like. And people felt anti-listened.