Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:06 pm

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: How NOT to get PR
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 4:28 pm 

When I first started my first business, Turtle's Web, it was basically an accident. I had a full time job with the State of NY, that I loathed, a ton of computer and design skills, and discovered the web in 1995. I started immediately designing a site for myself, and putting my artwork and writing online. Someone at my ISP heard about me, and offered me some work and before long I had so much work I could barely get to work most days. So I quit - I was having sucha good time and work sucked so why bother? I was making money hand over fist and didn't stop for a moment to consider any of the basic logistics of business. I had a computer in this large walk in closet at the foot of my bed, which had a window, and that was where I was 24/7, designing sites for companies all over the US.

So, one day, I got a call from the regional newspaper here. The person said "We've heard about the work you're doing on the World Wide Web..." (this was still a time of oooooh and ahhhhh over the WWW) "... and we understand that you are one of the only female web designers in the Capital District. We would like to interview you and find out more about your business." I was like "Uhmmmmmmmm" and the guy said "So, when can we stop by with a photographer and ask you a few questions?"

I FLIPPED. Stomach turned inside out! And I said "Noooo! I can't do that - I'm a very private person and I really don't want any attention, I really don't!!!"

He said "Okay" and went away. I breathed a huge sigh of relief and went back to designing web sites in total obscurity. The work came in, unbidden... from referrals and word of mouth from clients and the networking I did online. Then when the industry slid into the morass it is in now, I realized no one in my home town had ever heard of me - I had designed sites for every ISP and nearly web development co in the area as a subcontractor but had NO name for myself. I literally had to launch myself all over again with this new business, as if from scratch with branding and marketing and PR and the whole nine yards...

I kick myself in the behind on a regular basis over that bungle. Sheesh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:09 pm 

WebTurtle, I would have done the same thing. I have missed so many
opportunities that it makes me sick to think about it.

With me it was lack of confidence. I was better at what I do than anyone in
my local area and field but just suffered from low self-esteem.

I am 50 and starting to come out of it.

I have no education other than what I taught myself and I passed the
Microsoft Office User Special Course at the expert level. I even wrote the
the 5 exams in one sitting, but still did not have the confidence I should
have.

As Becky Hagel says, the universe opens doors and we just let them close
out of the fear of failure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:23 pm 

Well... in hindsight, it was certainly one of the bigger lessons I've learned. You wouldn't know it now - I'm out there courting the press and making a big noise of it all the time, as I drum up new business - but as with so many things in life it was a matter of overcoming tremendous fear with me too. I have said that I was born witha silver foot in my mouth for good reason - which is one reason I fear getting interviewed. I like to challenge myself - when I recognize a fear in myself which kept me from doing something, I try to tackle it. Sometimes very slowly. I do a lot of mind games and visualizations on myself to get stuff done - I had to imagine myself chasing PR and getting attention long before I dared to do it. I had to imagine standing up in front of a crowd speaking on topics I could talk about in my sleep, before I dared go out there and speak.

But, you know, 10 years ago, I was a 2 pack/day smoker without a college degree, working at a low level state job that I hated, who couldn't drive because I was afraid to get my license. The first year I had my own business, I took the BUS to get to appointments, showing up early so my clients never knew. Today, I haven't smoked in three years, spent five years in night school to get my associates degree, and I'm a hellion on the road now with my silver C-RV, buzzing around with Franklin the Turtle strapped in the back seat. LOL!

But I NEVER even imagined owning a business back then...ooooh, and I can't imagine doing anything else today!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 7:27 pm 

the point I wanted to make is that sometimes if you visualize what you want to do before you do it, and make your mistakes and corrections in your minds eye, it actually gives you the confidence to make small steps towards the goals that you set.

I vividly remember pretending to drive in my imagination for months before I ever took $1k out of my bank account and gave it to my youngest brother, saying "find me a $@$#@! car and teach me how to drive!!!!"

I was 29. I vowed i would not be taking buses at 30. So my little bro taught me how to drive - he couldn't figure out why I had waited so long because he didn't know how much "practicing" i had already done :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:40 am 

WebTurtle that is right on.

I do all that and have done a lot of things even though I get terrified and
I have spend thousands on products for visualization and self-esteem.

At 50 I am still a big chicken, but I do force myself to do things. It just has
not gotten any less stressful. :D

I taught computer classes for 16 years and nearly got sick before every
new class, but I never missed a class and always got great reviews from my
students. Maybe it is that fear that forces me to be a bit of a perfectionist.

I went to Bible college for 4 years and studied to become a minister but
in the end I did not because I just could not get up in front of people.

I do love what I do and I find that here at home in my office I have a
little less fear.

Well, it is almost 6am and I am taking the day off. Me, my float tube and
flyrod are heading out to catch a few bass.

I will see you all tonight. Have a great day and I will think of you once or
twice throughout the day. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:32 am 

Wow, Webturtle, you've been through all that? Well, then, I'm even more impressed with your accomplishments! That's a story that has to be told. Mind if Dave and I interview you down the road?

Heidi
HomeBusinessOnline.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:37 am 

Hi Heidi

Thats just the half of it -- LOL

I have always struggled between wanting to tell my story, because some people are like "wow, you should be an inspirational speaker!" and wanting to keep my personal life private for fear that people would judge me professional based on my earlier years. I've never quite been sure which way to go with that...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:30 pm 

Well, I've always been one to believe that we ALL have weaknesses and skeletons in our closets. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying to you or to themselves.

It's what we do with our weaknesses that makes us strong. And, YOU HAVE obviously become strong by what you have overcome! You've dealt with your weaknesses instead of sweeping them under the carpet. I'm truly impressed. Hats off to you, you're an inspiration.

I do, however, understand that not everyone sees it that way. Thus, I respect your concerns. Give it some time and see what you think. It's a great story worth telling.

Heidi
HomeBusinessOnline.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 1:00 pm 

I would consider telling some of it - but not all of it. LOL

Just let me know what you have in mind when you're ready

Post subject: Assets
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:44 am 

At one time i looked at my defects and nothing else. After a long period of time i began to realize and see that in my life i had many things to be proud of. Assets are in all of us. You just have to take a long hard look at yourself.