Home Business Forums - Online Business Forums

Home Business Forums for small business owners to discuss online home business
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:08 pm

A warm welcome to the forums!
We hope you will make this your home. Dave and Heidi, the founders of HomeBusinessOnline.com, are committed to helping you find all the information and resources you need to succeed in your home-based business. John is an excellent moderator of the forums and has an amazing amount of knowledge in small business.

-----> Hey, We Need Forum Moderators! <-----

Most Recent Forum Posts...

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: App-based marketing
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 10:46 pm 

With the increasingly widespread use of smartphones, app usage has also greatly increased. Therefore, mobile marketers have increasingly taken advantage of smartphone apps as a marketing resource. Marketers will aim to increase the visibility of an app in a store, which will in turn help in getting more downloads. By optimizing the placement of the app usage, marketers can ensure a significant number of increases in download. This allows for direct engagement, payment, and targeted advertising.

There is a lot of competition in this field as well. However, just like other services, it is not easy anymore to rule the mobile application market.

Post subject: Re: App-based marketing
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:48 pm 

The big challenges are really twofold… there are so many apps available to consumers, but there are still strict limitations on the storage capacities of their mobile devices' hard drives, so competition for that digital "real estate" on home screens is fierce and getting even more fierce by the day.

Retention of users is the other big challenge. I read a report recently that claimed that the average length of time that a consumer retains a business app on their phone is now down to five (5) weeks!

One of the biggest drawcards for app developers targeting small and medium businesses has been the advantages offered by SMS and Push Notifications — messaging services with urgency and open rates in the 90%-plus range (compared with email, often down to single d)igit open rates).

But with the current innovations in Push Notifications and similar, for ALL devices and browsers, the perceived benefits of expensive apps for that market is dwindling rapidly.

FREE help at https://www.facebook.com/groups/ForumMarketingForBeginners/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 am 

It's a huge window of opportunity. And you're correct, most people don't engage with apps consistently and for too long, so the apps need to offer something of value.

Starbucks is a great example of how to to this right.

But their app is also set up for mobile payment and offers discounts to consumers. It's a combination of ease and convenience with with the right kind of promotional material and value being offered. And at 21% of all sales in the U.S. coming through the app in 2015, it's pretty obvious to say their plan is working incredibly well.

We can't all be Starbucks, but we can learn a lot about marketing from them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:06 am 

Strive2Thrive wrote:
We can't all be Starbucks, but we can learn a lot about marketing from them.

Yes — and no. In Australia, Starbucks closed most of its stores and sold off the franchise because of their very mediocre product.

They simply didn't bother to properly research the market here first. They were such a huge success in the USA that they assumed that they'd duplicate that here, where coffee culture has been alive and well since the 1950s, when post-war immigration from Italy surged.

So they opened with a huge presence… then found their stores and their product just failed to attract customers. After 2-3 years they realised that they simply weren't able to compete with the local product and coffee culture, which was decades ahead of them.

I've seen this personally when hosting visitors from the USA. They can't believe the different experience.

So Starbucks may do promotion well — but they failed dismally in the most fundamental areas of marketing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:34 am 

profitclinic wrote:
They simply didn't bother to properly research the market here first.

But still a lesson that we can learn about marketing from Starbucks no? That first and foremost it's important to do your research and to know the market and how to reach them. We learn from failure often more than we learn from success.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:47 am 

Strive2Thrive wrote:
profitclinic wrote:

But still a lesson that we can learn about marketing from Starbucks no? That first and foremost it's important to do your research and to know the market and how to reach them. We learn from failure often more than we learn from success.

Yes, learning from failure can be very effective… but it can also be so expensive and traumatic that you never recover.

Learning by failure is just plain DUMBespecially when it can be so much easier, cheaper, faster and smarter to just do your homework!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:14 am 

App-based marketing is growing so fast right now. All the advertising companies with years of experience have to catch this tendency and their best improving it. I'm curious, do such serious Australian advertising agencies like http://www.tspa.com.au/ this one, have such person in their company who is in charge of app-based promotion? It's just sound so crazy to me, isn't it? Do you know the answer? :-?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:59 am 

profitclinic wrote:
Strive2Thrive wrote:
profitclinic wrote:

Yes, learning from failure can be very effective… but it can also be so expensive and traumatic that you never recover.

Learning by failure is just plain DUMBespecially when it can be so much easier, cheaper, faster and smarter to just do your homework!

I agree that people need to do their homework, but part of doing your homework is to see where others went wrong. Learning from other people's mistakes helps you avoid making costly ones on your own. Ergo, not dumb. But I know what you are saying. My point was merely to see what others out there are doing. See what they have done right and see what they have done wrong, and try to learn from that. Of course your own business and niche and everything requires your own research and you can't assume that one business' marketing approach will work for you.

In a larger scope though, I would say that your "learning from failure is dumb" comment is rather limited. We want to avoid failure as much as possible in life and business, and that is rational. But anyone who has ever done anything of worth has failed at some point or another. Failing doesn't make you a failure, and certainly doesn't make you dumb, it means that you tried something that didn't work. I would hope people learn from that. If we can't learn from our failures and learn to do things better the next time around, then that failure was meaningless and dumb. People shouldn't be afraid to fail, they should be afraid to not learn anything from that failure.

Edison had about a 1000 failed prototypes before he came across a design that worked. He didn't fail 1000 times, he merely learned 1000 ways not to make a light bulb. Those who are too afraid to fail to even try can never do anything innovative. If you only ever do what works, you will never find a new way to do it even better.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanfurr/ ... 30b3ef38f5

All of this being said, I do not have the confidence or ambition to do this. I am too afraid of failure and losing money, and I am a Type A personality that does my homework thoroughly and I make sure to dot every I and cross every T. That can also be effective and ensure that you don't end up in ruin. So I would never tell anyone to throw caution to the wind all in the name of innovation. Clearly that would be dumb. But if you start a business and you fail, it doesn't mean you are a failure and should give up. It means you learned a way that didn't work and hopefully learned where you went wrong, which means when you start again, you won't make the same mistakes twice (or at least I hope not).

Ok, done with rant. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:46 am 

I understand your point of view, and agree totally about learning from failure when innovatinggenuinely innovating, when there is NO "prior art" to help you avoid mistakes.

Edison actually succeeded on attempt #10,000 to make a functioning electric light bulb. But he had no predecessors.

There are four ways to learn:

1. Personal experience — slow, painful and dumb (if this is where you choose to start despite there being an existing knowledge base).

2. The experience of others — observing and learning from the mistakes and successes of others is higher leverage and intelligent.

3. Formal education — the accumulated knowledge, experience and observations of predecessors. Even higher leverage and intelligent behaviour.

4. Emulationpersonal mentoring and coaching from successful predecessors — the highest leverage learning activity.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:57 pm 

I completely agree, and this: "2. The experience of others — observing and learning from the mistakes and successes of others is higher leverage and intelligent." was part of my point. And you yourself claim it is an intelligent way to learn. Learn from others by observing what they do right and wrong.

And also Edison did have predecessors (Humphrey Davy and Joseph Swan, for example) and did not actually "invent" the light bulb, he just saw what others had already done and found a way to do it better. So he invented the most functional light bulb.

I think we are saying the same thing, but are enjoying the "argument." It has been thoroughly entertaining :-P